About the report
- Annual published by the UNDP which first launched in the year 1990
- It includes discussions of major development issues, trends and policies in the world.
Three dimensions of Human Development
- Standard of Living which is calculated though the Gross National Income Per Capita.
- Health which is calculated through Life Expectancy at Birth.
- Education which is calculated through mean years of education among the adult population and expected years of schooling for children.
Besides this also includes four other indices
- Inequality Adjusted HDI
- Gender Development Index
- Gender Inequality Index
- Multidimensional Poverty Index
This approach was developed by economist Mahbub Ul Haq and Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen.
- India Ranks at 130th ranks lower than countries like Namibia, Tajikistan, Guatemala and even Iraq.
- Norway has ranked first with an HDI value of 0.944.
- Norway is followed by Australia, Switzerland and Denmark.
- United States ranks 8th while China ranks 90th.
- Pakistan and Bangladesh have a rank of 147 and 142 respectively.
- Sri Lanka ranks a very high of 73 and falls in the ambit of High HDI countries.