Salient features of the Pradhan Mantri Khanij Kshetra Kalyan Yojana (PMKKKY) are as follows:
- To implement various development and welfare projects/programs in mining affected areas that complement the existing ongoing schemes/projects of State and Central Government.
- To minimize/mitigate the adverse impacts, during and after mining, on the environment, health and socio-economics of people in mining districts.
- To ensure long-term sustainable livelihoods for the affected people in mining areas.
- High priority areas like drinking water supply, health care, sanitation, education, skill development, women and child care, welfare of aged and disabled people, skill development and environment conservation will get at least 60% share of the funds collected under DMF.
- 40% of the DMFs funds will be utilized for the following areas:
- Physical infrastructure 2. Irrigation 3. Energy and watershed development 4. any other measures for enhancing environmental quality in mining district.
- PMKKKY, provides for Special provisions for Scheduled areas