Uniform civil code (UCC) : Proposal to replace the personal laws based each major religious community in India with a common law for every citizen. These laws are distinguished from public law and cover marriage, divorce, inheritance, adoption and maintenance.
Mentioned in the Constitution
- Article 44
- Under Directive Principle of State Policy
- The article 44 : The state shall endeavor to secure for the citizens a Uniform Civil Code throughout the territory of India
India need a Uniform Civil Code!!!!!Why ?
- The constitution give the idea of secularism which practically only by providing same law for all Indians
- All will come under single law
- Supreme Court noted a civil code to be applicable to all its citizens : In cases like Shah Bano
- It will be a fight against vote bank politics
Who will be affected ?
- All the Indian citizen gets affected by the UCC by following a common Law
- Negative play is that UCC have given a communal colour
- Communities have different personal laws which leads to politicization
In the News
- Union Law Minister asked law commission to examine issues related to UCC
- It may take take 6months to 12 months to complete
- Law commission will consult it with various personal law boards